Science is fact
Religion is faith
Magic is perception
Know these boundaries
To discover what lies beyond.
The practice of using intuition is more than just following a gut feeling or seeing a vision. Intuition leads us to connect to world around us.
Our intuition is the spark to initiate actions. The third eye then opens up a vision for us to recognize and help us see what the intuition leads towards. We use our third eye as an art: combining fact, faith and perception into an interactive experience. It’s the ability to use our intuition to guide our actions with graceful steps in life. All of the different variations of using intuition and the third eye together is: Patterning. Calling all these third eye techniques Patterning helps reflect the truer and larger perspective of all the different styles of using the third eye and intuition.
Since so many people misunderstand and fear the third eye, most people find it safer to just refer to their personal process as their “intuition“.
I have posted a section of testimonials to more fully describe the practice of patterning: each person having a different story and perspective from the practice. For me, patterning is a direct expression of how I explore life.
Patterning is a very ancient part of Taoism. Many confuse this practice to be just divination or only how to use the third eye to see what might happen. One simple example of Patterning which many people would be familiar with is I Ching. However, from a Taoist perspective I Ching is just a small example of the larger practice.
How Our Intuition & Third Eye Work Together
Most people limit what the third eye means to be a simple practice, to be something learned from a 50 page self help book, to only be about visions.
Most people limit Intuition to only be a gut feeling, something that tingles and tickles a person with clues about next steps.
Intuition and the third eye are connected and together complete what is called the sixth sense.
Using both intuition and the third eye is a lifestyle choice and it is a practice having thousands of years of rich traditions. Not one third eye tradition, but rather many traditions working with how to use the sixth sense, our third eye and intuition. When looked at as only a practice, people quickly fight over what it means, each saying their practice is the best. Yet when understanding, this is a natural sense with many paths in how to learn it, then we can work together to expand how we use our intuition.
- So the first step to understanding is to accept intuition as connecting to a possible potential.
- The second step to understanding the third eye is then an initial visualizing of that potential.
- The third step is to realize, the third eye is much more than seeing visions: that it includes all of our senses combining together to give us access to information regarding patterns connecting to that potential we see.
As a result in teaching people how to trust to their intuition, I have expanded out the teaching to then focus upon working with potential. It’s important to reinforce and encourage people to connect out with your intuition, otherwise a person downplays their intuition to mean nothing. Otherwise a person doesn’t take a first step into connecting to all the patterns around them.
So What is Patterning?
To teach a person to work with their intuition is to open up their world and see all the patterns in play. At first it seems simple, and then it slowly expands out to include more and more. When I first explained patterning I wrote the simple introductory poem on top of this page as a brief description of the practice. In many respects it’s still my favorite description.
It’s important to understand Patterning is so much more than only learning how to use the third eye!
It’s a practice that integrates across your entire life to use everything! The third eye is just an extremely powerful sense to be included with our other 5 senses and we must include our minds ability to use intuition and logic to blend it all together with awareness, as a practice to move through the potentials we can witness in life.
It’s a practice helping people open up to new possibilities. Helping to reveal what is hidden in a person’s life and then helping that person move ahead in a way that enriches and improves life.
- To some it could be Applied Science when using experiences from studies of biology, physics, math, engineering and psychology.
- To some it would learning how to listen to their Intuition with trust.
- To some it is learning how to use their third eye to see and connect to potentials that surround their life. Many know this as “opening the third eye”, but in learning to see, we discover a larger world that is more than what our vision reveals!
- To some it could be divination when mixing in aspects from Taoist I Ching practice, Tarot and Rune Lore.
- To some it would be religious expanding upon personal keystones of faith and including wisdom from Taoism and other cultures.
- To some it would be a spiritual practice as it touches upon the mysteries of life in moving terms.
- To some it could appear as magical when trusting to intuitive insights towards connections which seemingly would be impossible for one to know.
- To some it’s as simple as common sense when calling upon personal experiences gained as a father and from living.
- To some it will always be a mystery as the full process is never predefined nor predictable.
- To some it will become a mirror when together we pull in and include your own knowledge and experience to the process.
It’s a moment without judgment, accepting the possible options ahead of us.
When teaching, I pull all these aspects together to weave a shared vision with which you can see new possibilities. Patterning reveals your truth as you are shown life in terms you can finally find peace within.
Because so many people misuse and misunderstand what the third eye really represents, it’s best to take a step back when learning the third eye to see this larger process as Patterning first. Then with patience, it is possible to teach each person how best to nurture and train in their third eye ability. To use the third eye as part of this larger process of patterning. In doing this, you safely put the third eye into a framework where it supplements your life.
We hear many tales of people going strange when leaning the third eye, and that is because a person makes the process to be greater than their life. Once this happens it is easy to lose oneself into something they make greater than themselves. This is the trap when third eye becomes delusion.
So it must always be stressed using the third eye is a natural part of your life, used in a holistic integrated manner with the rest of one’s life.
This isn’t a practice based within any mysterious power, in fact it’s the exact opposite: a practice founded upon embracing the fullness of our humanity. As a Taoist Master, I have learned to open and refine my abilities to reveal our connections in life.
Patterning bridges the gap from so many different angles of the human experience that it helps others open up to new visions of their own life. To me, it’s a system of weaving patterns I have been refining for over 30 years. It’s about exploring life in an ever wondrous process.
Divination is the art of applying how you see the patterns present (patterning) in a person’s life and then showing which potentials match up closest to being the best to compliment their life. What is best? Best are the results that help a person move gracefully and compassionately in their life.
Divination readings are never about predicting fortune (what a person wishes to hear) nor about predicting the future (to limit your choices). Rather divination is a process that helps a person understand what potentials surround them. Divination is a process of personal education about potential itself. The process helps a person sort out their options and to better understand consequences of activating the various potentials present in their life. With this knowledge it helps a person understand how better to move ahead with actions that result in kind outcomes. That means outcomes that support a person’s essence rather than work against their nature.