I came across this photo from Reuters news yesterday.
I just love it, and what comes to mind.
A Taoist doesn’t take a bull by its horns,
A Taoist flows around the bull.
Such perfect imagery for Taoist practice in action.
I was asked for an answer today. An answer to find direction to Taoism.
I considered this very seriously and realized in the manner the question was presented to me, as a teacher I could only return a single answer back.
So before answering this question I rephrased it and asked back:
If you had to ask for an answer for anything in the world, Any one answer. I mean if you could only get a single answer back from me. What answer would you want to be given as a gift?
Here is a starter list , typical answers people spend a life time for. Very seriously ponder the list carefully
- the easy answer
- the hard answer
- the answer most people expect
- the answer most people desire
- the answer that is the closest to truth you can have
- the answer that will hurt
- the answer that will heal
- the answer that will make you laugh
- the answer that will have only made sense yesterday
- the answer that will only make sense tomorrow
- the answer that will not make sense until 6 months from now
- the answer that will not make sense until 1 year from now
- the answer that will not make sense until 10 years from now
- the answer that only makes sense after you fully live your life
- the answer that will make you wise
- the answer that will make you seem wise
- the answer others will want to see in you
- the answer you want others to see in you
- the answer of where to find Taoist sages or monks
- the answer to which cardinal direction of the compass to head
- the answer to resolve a burning desire
- the answer to solve all problems
- the answer…Or any answer I missed on this list. Please fill in the blank
So many answers, 10,000 different answers all equally valid from different perspectives. Which one is it you truly seek.
The one pre-consideration given for this task, is to ponder how the answer reflects to the emptiness you feel inside right now. After all answers, by definition, fill in space. I ask first, you take a second to understand why you are seeking the answer first before asking for the answer.
The answer people seek is usually an answer to reflect a seemingly missing part of our inner nature.
Think about this for a moment, since this how every epic tales begin: seeking an answer for an issue to overcome. So pick the answer wisely to help frame the journey better to be more fulfilling to your inner nature.
What answer would you pick as a peach or have answered from the Muses, Norns or Soothsayer if you had a chance to journey into your heart’s desire and to resolve one answer?
The truth is no answer matters unless you leap into to it and meander to where it may…
This is flow.
Without flow you will not find any answer to live against.