Introduction to Spiritual Healing
Spiritual Healing is about working with illness, dis-ease, and dis-harmony from multiple angles.
When using spiritual healing to address illness, we focus on bringing harmony back to reinforce a person’s whole body-heart-mind health.
Healing vs. Curing
In modern society, we expect quick fixes. Western medicine focuses on curing people through surgery, pharmaceuticals and other medical interventions. If you have a bacterial infection, western medicine provides the cure, antibacterial medicine.
Many treatments exist in western medicine. Treatments focus on curing symptoms. For example, medications are used to treat symptoms of depression and pain. Treatments can be beneficial in acute situations. However, long-term reliance on only treatment can inhibit healing, create a dependence on the treatment and even create additional illness and disease. For example, antibacterial medications often create an imbalance in the gut.
Healing goes beyond medical treatment. It includes spiritual growth, intellectual expansion, physical cures and other interventions. Healing requires digging deeper into why you got a bacterial infection in the first place and why you have depression and pain.
What is Spiritual Healing
Healing is usually a mixture of interventions – physical medical and non-medical, energetic interventions and mental interventions. When we transform the cause of illness/disease and grow beyond the problem, we are then focused on healing. Healing is a whole package deal. Addressing only one element of an illness rarely leads to healing.
In spiritual healing, we create a medicine story for ourselves that includes both a curing process and a healing destination. We create a spiritual prescription for the body, heart, and mind and then embark upon a healing journey.
Spiritual healing is a path of transformation, a journey that connects the body, heart and mind to free the soul.
The Spiritual Healing Journey
A spiritual healing journey addresses physical, emotional, mental and spiritual toxins. In this way, we eliminate toxins that undercut the soul. We then release motion that splits a person away from themselves. Doing both allows a person to heal and become whole.
Healing the soul is the combined healing interventions for the body, heart, and mind. Many of us think of one action and then act upon another. For example, I may think I want to write today and then physically go to the beach instead. Or, we feel strongly about one need and yet physically move in a different direction. It happens all of the time, every day, for most of us.
One of my teachers, Gabrielle Roth, says it this way in her book Maps to Ecstasy,
“We need to do right by our body, purify our relationships, use our mind for creative freedom and not enslavement, free the soul from the ego, and undertake the spiritual journey.”
So, what does doing right by our body mean?
Spiritual Healing: Do Right by Our Body
Check in with your body on a daily basis. How does it feel? Does it have any complaints?
- Eat Healthily. What does this mean for us now? Can we eat less sugar? Are we still eating fast food? Do we drink enough water? Find small ways to improve dietary habits. Eat more vegetables. Eat more local and organic foods. Learn more about diet. Choose one thing and move forward!
- Exercise. Finding exercise we enjoy and can easily integrate into our daily life is one of the biggest challenges many people face. Try dancing, walking, surfing, jumping rope, swimming, yoga – try whatever calls to you – until you find an exercise that you feel like practicing! Taoist Longevity and Lifestyle
- Care for Your Body. Get a massage or have a spa day with a friend. Go to the chiropractor or physical therapist. Find a circle of healers who will care for your body and address any complaints it might have proactively.
- Sleep. Are we getting an appropriate amount of sleep? Do we feel rested? Create an evening sleep ritual. Turn off the TV. Take an evening soak by candlelight. Listen to a favorite audio meditation or put on some relaxing music.
Typically, when we take care of the body, we are also taking care of the heart and mind! Remember to start and build body practices in a way that can be easily sustained and expanded over time. There is always something we can do for our body!
Spiritual Healing: Purify Our Relationships
What does it mean to purify our heart, relationships, and personal energy field?
- Balance Giving and Receiving. Are we giving and receiving in our close relationships? Or, are we mostly giving? Or, only receiving? Read more about The Yin and Yang of Support
- Practice Loving without Judgement. No heart can be pure if it is constantly comparing and judging others right or wrong. Find a supportive coach or counselor to help you release judgment.
- Increase Awareness around, Build & Maintain your Energy. We are exposed to toxic energy at work, in relationships, and from the TV/internet. First, begin reducing the negative energy you receive on a daily basis. Then, find an enjoyable practice that helps build and maintain energy. Qigong, light visualization, and acupuncture are a few of our favorite energy practices.
Spiritual Healing: Use the Mind for Creative Freedom
How do we free our mind and use it to grow and create a life we love?
- Practice meditation. There are so many wonderful meditation practices to help keep our mind clear. Casey has a morning meditation he teaches and loves. There are numerous styles of meditation. Try several and practice the one that resonates the most for your body-heart-mind!
- Pursue intellectual challenges. Read, take a course, pursue a degree and find ways to challenge your mind to grow.
- Tell stories. We are our story: so talk story and write out your stories. In Remapping Your Mind: The Neuroscience of Self-Transformation through Story, Lewis Mehl-Madrona talks about how stories help us rewire our neural pathways and transform our life.
Spiritual Healing: Free the Soul from the Ego
How do we free our soul up?
- Practice. Soulful people have a connected body, heart, and mind. They aren’t fighting themselves. So, by finding the practices you love for your body, heart and mind you will free the soul. You will experience more moments where your thinking is aligned with your feelings and the physical motion of your body. Consider a destiny coaching session.
- Build Mana. Be willing to build your spiritual power, so you have a strong body without complaint, energy to fulfill your dreams and a clear mind able to make choices in the present moment without doubt and distraction. In this way, you will free your soul to create a life you love!
- Revisit and Practice Daily. Check-in to be sure your practices are still resonating for your body-heart-mind. Are you starting to feel like a zombie going through the motions? Maybe it’s time to try a new practice or deepen your practice!
Spiritual Healing: Undertake the Spiritual Journey
While we practice keeping our body healthy and happy, our emotions and energy balanced, our mind clear and sharp, sometimes there are spiritual aspects of illness, dis-ease, and disharmony. Our medicine story may benefit from a spiritual intervention.
- Regain Power. In shamanic cultures, it is important to be full of power. Power gives us the ability to be the authors of our life (rather than a character being directed by others). One way to restore power to a person, family or community, is through a power animal retrieval. We’ve created a ten minute audio meditation to help you connect to a power animal. It’s part of our membership and can be accessed through Personal Tao on Patreon along with other patron-only audios, teachings and meditations.
- Remove misplaced energy. There is no good or bad energy. There is simply energy that is stuck, not where it is supposed to be and often simply needs to be moved. The energy practices you adopt will help with this. However, it can be helpful to have a shamanic practitioner help you move energy that has been misplaced in your body.
- Retrieve lost soul parts. When we experience trauma in life, a part of us leaves to protect us from experiencing the trauma full on. This is called soul loss in shamanic cultures. And, a soul retrieval is a shamanic method for bringing back lost soul parts so that we may be whole again.
- Reconnect with your ancestors. Know your Mountain. We stand on the shoulders of others, and it is important to be rooted in this. Otherwise, we risk becoming ruthless. Being connected to our ancestors, family, and friends who love us is critical to all medicine stories. Ancestral healing, with ancestors who have passed on in the last 100 years, often helps physical issues that won’t resolve.
- Be the Light. Healing with Spiritual Light is a cross-cultural spiritual healing technique that helps transmute negativity and toxins within and around us. As your body, heart, and mind come more into balance and harmony, removing stones that have accumulated in your bowl of light over time, you find that you can hold your core in a strong, energy-filled way. You can walk through life filled with light, shining bright and inspiring others to be in their light more and more!
Spiritual healing involves healing the body, heart and mind so that the soul can be whole.
Often, it takes more than one intervention for us to heal, as well as daily practice. This is the path of our destiny, creating a bigger story for ourselves and our loved ones, so that we may move through life in a connected, fulfilling way.
Spiritual healing is about being the author of your very own medicine story.
Jewelie has completed Sandra Ingerman’s Soul Retrieval Training and is listed as a shamanic practitioner. She offers Long-Distance Soul Retrievals and Spiritual Healing sessions. Contact us for more information and to schedule a spiritual healing session!
Join our next Spiritual Healing Small Group via Zoom